NoSQL began as a way for large web firms to scale, but is increasingly becoming an enterprise standard as organizations attempt to cope with not only a dizzying volume of data, but also an increasingly diverse set of data sources that must be integrated and analyzed in real-time.
To meet the demands of Big Data, 10gen today released MongoDB 2.4, adding features that make the world’s most popular NoSQL database even easier to manage and secure for mission-critical enterprise applications running at scale.
MongoDB has long been popular with developers, consistently ranked the leading NoSQL database across a variety of indices. Developers appreciate the improved agility, performance, and scalability that MongoDB offers them.
With version 2.4, 10gen has continued to cater to developer needs while also broadening MongoDB’s appeal to enterprise Operations teams tasked with managing their growing MongoDB deployments.
These improvements are available in MongoDB Enterprise, a new edition of MongoDB that makes it more convenient for enterprises to find the appropriate tools, functionality, and services to support their development and ongoing operations. MongoDB Enterprise replaces 10gen’s Subscriber Edition, and is provided with 10gen's Enterprise Subscription, which includes our most comprehensive Service Level Agreement (SLA).
Several of the more important components of MongoDB Enterprise and of the general MongoDB 2.4 release are highlighted below.
For a number of years 10gen has offered organizations the ability to monitor and manage MongoDB through its free, cloud-based MongoDB Monitoring Service (MMS). This service has far exceeded our expectations, and today tens of thousands of users benefit from the insights provided by MMS for operating their MongoDB systems.
For some organizations, however, there are policies that prohibit sharing sensitive information related to database usage in the cloud. MongoDB Enterprise now includes MongoDB Monitoring, an on-premise monitoring solution. As with MMS, MongoDB Monitoring gives customers excellent visualization and alerts on over 100 system metrics.
For those who wish to monitor their MongoDB deployments using other popular monitoring tools like Nagios, MongoDB Enterprise users benefit from enhanced enterprise software integration options, including SNMP to support such integration with third-party offerings.
These operations-related improvements make it easier than ever to deploy and manage MongoDB clusters. Other benefits include improved resilience for cloud environments, more fine-grained control of in-flight operations, and extended visibility into system operations.
Security is a critical consideration for applications, and with MongoDB Enterprise users can easily develop and integrate with standard enterprise security standards by providing Kerberos-based authentication.
MongoDB 2.4 also provides role-based privileges, which separate responsibilities for server, database and cluster administration, and give the enterprise more granular security than before./p>
Enterprises have turned to MongoDB to build business-transforming applications, and simultaneous with the MongoDB 2.4 release, 10gen has augmented its subscription offerings with enhanced service tiers, including the Enterprise Subscription, which comes with a 30-minute SLA.
As noted above, beyond these more Operations-focused offerings, MongoDB 2.4 also includes a number of other features that are designed to make developers even more productive.
Some of the more prominent examples include:
- Hash-based sharding. Helps enterprises that have been running MongoDB in large clusters by ensuring even distribution of reads and writes, requiring less upfront planning
- Text search. The most requested feature in the history of MongoDB, integrated text search removes the need for synchronization between MongoDB and an external search engine and significantly improves manageability
- Geospatial enhancements. Now users can perform more sophisticated analysis, including polygon intersections, through queries and the Aggregation Framework
- Capped arrays. Users can more easily track top lists of things, such as tags in blog posts and leaderboards for gaming applications
- Performance improvements - Includes the ability to run multiple MapReduce jobs simultaneously and 3X to 5X speed improvements in the Aggregation Framework for real-time analytics
There has never been a better time to develop with MongoDB. After only HTML5, MongoDB is the most sought after technical skill by employers, and is consistently ranked in the top-two most in-demand Big Data technologies. With MongoDB 2.4 and product upgrades like MongoDB Enterprise, 10gen gives enterprises the tools to make the best use of MongoDB.
Learn More About MongoDB 2.4
- Download MongoDB 2.4 or a trial of MongoDB Enterprise
- Attend an upcoming webinar in our 2.4 series on Geo Capabilities, Security, and Hash-based Sharding.
- Attend an upcoming conference in London, San Francisco, or New York, all featuring a dedicated 2.4 new features track. Register with the promotional code ReleaseDB for 25% off of your ticket.